Friday, April 23, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes

For most of the school year, I teach 4th, 5th, and 6th grade art in 3 different public schools.  The last 9 weeks of each year, however, I travel to a small community school that has Kindergarten through 6th grade.  It is an extreme culture shock for me...truly!  I still like to dream and believe that I am a young, energetic teacher, but these young children take that dreamy look right out of my eyes and stomp it to pieces!  Bending over and stooping down, wiping noses, and checking wiggly teeth becomes a regular part of my day.  And Oh! the stories they tell, each one bigger and more outlandish than the last.  If I had known how much a kindergartner tells their teacher, I probably would have much more careful with my words and actions when my boys were young.  I now need to apologize publicly to Mrs. Sumner and Mrs. Funk for anything you may have heard from Austin and Ches!

These kids are so adorable, and I sometimes feel like a rock star.  I walk down the halls and into the cafeteria and hear their whispers turn into chants.  "Miss Sherri is here...The art lady is here...HEY Miss Sherri...HEY MISS SHERRI!"  You've gotta love them, unless you're the teacher on duty in said cafeteria.

This will probably be the last year I work with this age group.  Our school system is realigning the grades, and I will be teaching at an all 6th grade school next year.  I've long wanted to teach at just one school rather than four, but it will be sad to leave these little ones behind.  Just imagine what they will be like when they're 6 years older and on the cusp of the teen years.  I don't think I can place bubble paint and straws in front of them then and get these same reactions!  What fun they are...

No comments:

Post a Comment